Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Destination Wedding Planning and other Destination Weddings topics.
Although a destination wedding is generally more casual and relaxed than a traditional, hometown wedding, there is still a general order of events to every wedding reception. Of course, every couple has their own special likes and dislikes. Be sure to modify this list to best suit your tastes.
A Typical Wedding Reception Order of Events
1. Guests arrive to the reception site, following the wedding ceremony
2. When most or all of the guests are present, the wedding party is formally introduced, followed by the wedding couple.
3. The wedding meal is served.
4. The cake is served. It's customary for the bride and groom to get the first pieces.
5. A toast is offered to the wedding couple by the best man, maid/matron of honor, and the wedding couple themselves, followed by others, if desired.
6. If there is dancing, the bride and groom have the first dance, followed by the bride and her father together and then the groom and his mother.
7. The bride tosses the bouquet to the single women and the groom tosses the garter to the single men.
8. The bridal couple and guests enjoy the evening dancing and celebrating the event.